• question-icon

What causes tremors on left side of body post Lasix intake?

Posted on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my mother has CHF and receives lasix IV twice a week to keep her comfortable. She lately has developed really bad shaking on her left side. The shaking effects the left side arm and leg. Her voice and head are not effected. She previously had a stroke on her left side about 10 years ago. She does not have a family history of parkinson's disease. Is this just a tremor of age and just manifests on this weak side?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be multifactorial

Detailed Answer:

Tremors she has could be multifactorial.

It could be attributed to her age, as you know advancing age can result in neuron degeneration in cerebellum and/or cerebellothalamocortical circuits leading to such tremors, called essential/senile tremors.

Essential/senile tremors usually are gradual in onset and moderate in amplitude. These can appear suddenly or get aggravated with use of medications like Lasix.

Also, an adding factor is the history of stroke. This may explain why the tremors are in the weak side. Together with Lasix this makes the tremor more evident in the weak side.

I agree with your doctors in this regard too, there would be no good expectations in attempting to treat the tremors rater continue with medications for her exiting illness.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Raju A.T