What causes tremors in the hands and arms while on Symbicort and Prednisone?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have put the list of medications into your system He has COPD- just was released from hospital on Monday 8/1/2016 for pneumonia right lung- he had pneumonia left lung released from hospital XXXXXXX 1 of this year.
Medications on both were heavy antiobiotics- last round and up to last night (last pill) azithromycine and cefran- he normally takes prednisone, symbicort inhaler, spivera mid day, symbicort again in the evening and NAC Lung Support twice a day. Vitamins C D and B 12- Centrum Silver, he is on oxygen 24 hr. He has not had the shaking all last week but today he took his normal symbicort in the AM, Prednisone and had yogurt with it and he started with shaking of this arms and hands, and feeling like he had a motor running in his chest. Please advise is he having a drug interaction, or lack of.

I researched his normal medication and the only alert was symbicort and prednisone
symbicort removes the prednisone in potency.
Calcium if added -prednisone removes calcium from the body.
This has happened previously when he was home on medication between the XXXXXXX 1 release and going back in the hospital for the second round of pneumonia treatment.
His spo 2 count at rest is 89-93 when walking 88-91

where is my answer from anyone.

Getting really no understanding response.
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sympathomimetic side effects likely

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Symbicort (budesonide and formoterol) can give rise to tremor of hands and arms due to excessive beta-agonist activities of formoterol.
Spiriva (Tiotropium Bromide) on the contrary does not cause tremor of hands and arms as side effects.
Please contact your physician and report the side effects.He may have to be placed on lower dose of budesonide and formeterol combination inhaler or at lower frequency.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar