What causes tremors in the hand?

Posted on Tue, 27 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: For a couple of years now, my hands shake when i begin to eat, sometimes drink, within the first couple bites or sips. Its more pronounced in the left hand than the right hand. It subsides as the meal progresses typically. I don't think I'm shaking prior to the meal. In the last couple of years i am also compelled to get up and eat in the middle of the night, usually high calorie foods. There is also a tremor in my neck/head when i try to hold still for a passport or drivers license photo; otherwise no tremor. I have dysautonomia and I'm accustomed to the way my body dumps adrenaline at times, but it is more random and this problem is very specific. I'm a 46 year old female, 5'3", 140 pounds and I run, do yoga and pilates regularly and have for years, although over the last year my strength and endurance has dropped drastically. I sometimes shake with yoga poses (usually do) and where as I was running 9 km 4-5 times a week, i can now only do 4-6 km and I'm walking a good bit of that due to fatigue. Wondering if I should see a neurologist, endocrinologist or just attribute it all to the dysautonomia? Thanks very much.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormone tests

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your bothersome symptoms. When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)
Plasma Free Metanephrines
25 hydroxy Vitamin D   levels   (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml =  100 to 150 nmol/liter)     

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist