What causes tremors in hands?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
when i play golf my hands shake bad. I am a professional golfer and this is detremental to my game. I have tried beta blockers and they help but do not stop all the shaking. What else could I try?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cause of tremors needs to be find out

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I think you have one of the common types that are ‘Essential tremors’ which runs in family. The other common causes needs to be ruled out are-Parkinson’s disease, liver failure, alcoholism and certain antidepressants. Side effects from some medicines can also cause tremors. You may discuss the whole issue with your treating doctor to find out cause of tremors.
You may take following measure at home-1.Stress reduction can sometimes help to reduce tremors.
2. Add a little weight to your hand by wearing a heavy bracelet or watch or holding something in your hand. This may reduce some tremors and restore more control to your hands.
3.Drink beverages from half-filled cups or glasses, and use a straw.
4.Get enough rest, sleep and reduce your caffeine intake. Fatigue often makes a tremor worse.
Hope this helps to reduce tremors and I shall be glad to answer any further query.