What causes tremors in arms and legs after taking Celexa?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Eating Disorders
Question: Hello,
So, today is 2 weeks since i started celexa 30 mg, but I have been taking it for 6 weeks total, starting with 5,10,20 mg.
I'm getting something that feels like mild inside tremors/shakiness in my legs and arms. It is not noticeable, but i can feel it. If i take a klonopin, it goes away
I never had this before i started celexa and it freaks me out.
Is it something to worry about, or my body is trying to adjust to my new dose? Will it improve if i give it more time?
Thank you so much for answering....
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry but Medicine shuoldbe changed

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.
You are taking cetalopram in 30 mg dose. This medicine may induce some anxiety or panic symptoms in some patients.As you are feeling tremors after starting celexa only, it is suggestive of side effect.
Optimum dose is 40 mg of celexa so in future you will be in need of more dose.So this tremors may affect more. One more thing is this tremors relieved by clonazepam(klonopin- an anti anxiety medicine), so it is celexa induce anxiety.
If I were your treating doctor I would like to change medicine from citalopram to escitalopram or sertraline.
If you can tell me that "for what you have XXXXXXX given celexa", I can suggest you another alternative medicines for your problem.
Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to here from you if another query.
Regards,Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 22 minutes later
Thank you very much...
I am taking celexa for generalized anxiety disorder.
Brief Answer:
CBT is an alternative

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for info XXXX.
In generalised anxiety disorder psychotherapy and behaviour therapy are quite helpful particularly Cognitive Behavior Therapy(CBT).
With help of above alternative even you can be cured and live without medicines.

For generalised anxiety disorder I prefer Paroxetine contrlled release with some anti anxiety like clonazepam or etizolam.
So search professional for above therapy and move forward.
All the best.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 9 hours later
Thank you very much...should i give this dose 2 more weeks, for a total of 4 weeks and see if it gets better?
I will start CBT and accupuncture next week.
Also, how can i tell if the dose is too high or too low? Should i go back to 20 mg and see if it helps?
Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Dose high or low is depend on individual improvement.

Yes you van try low dose and if on 20 mg you are better in your anxiety disorder without any side effects , you can continue.

And yes it's good move to have psychotherapy.

All the best and get well soon.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 3 hours later
Thanks again...
One more question...i spent 1 month on 20 mg, and i was still getting anxiety and side effects.
Now it has been 2 weeks on 30, and just experienced an anxiety attack, i had to take 0.5 klonopin to calm down.
Do you think i should go to 40 instead or stay longer on 30?
I am very discouraged right now!
Thanks a lot for your XXXXXXX
e
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
changing of medicine would be better

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
You can go for 40 and see if there is further improvement.

However if I were your treating doctor, I would like to change medicine from celexa to paroxetine or sertraline.
So discuss with your treating doctor about my suggestion and change treatment approach accordingly.

Regards,Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 14 hours later
Thank you! I definetly will discuss this with my gp.
Do you think i should wait another week on 30, or go to 40 for couple of weeks and then, if things dont improve just change the treatment?
What is your oppinion.
You have been such a great help...thank you!
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
do not wait

Detailed Answer:
Frankly speaking if I were your treating doctor,I would like to change the medicines.I would not like that patient suffers from uncomfortable side effects.
I hope XXXX that you would be better after changing treatment.
Wishing you good health & take care.
Regards,Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Hello and thank you very much. I will talk to my doctor about changing treatment. I read that stertraline (Zoloft) has better reviews than paroxetine. Do you agree, for my anxiety?
Thank you
Brief Answer:
yes sertraline is good alternative

Detailed Answer:
Yes XXXX ,in females I also generally prefer sertraline. Paroxetine is more potent but with more side effects then sertaline.
So zoloft will be good option for you.
Have a good health.
Regards.