What causes tremors in a diabetic ESRD and CAPD patient?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Diabetic nephropathy patient ESRD, on CAPD sine 3 years, having tremors in the body occasionally and sleeplessness ince a year.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 3 hours later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

Tremors in a diabetic ESRD and CAPD patient can be due to various reasons--

Weakness of body. Have you lost muscle mass and become weak in general? This is common in patients on CAPD if they do not maintain a high protein intake.

Tremors can also occur as part of dyselectrolytemia- where serum sodium potassium or calcium levels may become very less or more. These need to be checked.

Thyroid dysfunction is common in kidney disease patients and can present as tremors. See your TSH test.

The medicines you are taking do not generally cause tremors.

Diabetic neuropathy (effect on the nerves) can also lead to weakness and tremors this can be diagnosed by NCV (Nerve Conduction velocity) testing done by a neurologist.

Therefore, we have to keep these possibilities in mind and discuss this with your treating Nephrologist for correct diagnosis.

Sleeplessness again is a subjective symptom. It may be part of dyselectrolytemia. But mostly if your breathing pattern is OK you can try one of the sleeping medicine under the guidance of your doctor like - clonazepam.

Hope this helps, in case of any further query feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E