What causes transverse myelitis?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Dr Athavale, Thankyou for your advice, but the symptoms worsened. I attended XXXXXXX Hospital in Melbourne, had a spinal MRI and they diagnosed me with Transverse Myelitis. I spent 5 days as an inpatient and had Acyclovir IV then oral for another few days TDS, also Methyl Prednisalone 3 IV doses. My symptoms have reduced a little but I am still undertaking further tests as the CSF showed no virus. The tests are looking for other possible causes of Transverse Myelitis. Thankyou for your initial advice. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pin pointing cause & specific treatment would help you.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.
It' s good that you went to hospital in time & got treatment earliest to get some relief too.
Transverse myelitis is an inflammatory condition of spinal cord .. which gets demyelinated to cause the symptoms. It can be due to various causes like viral or bacterial conditions/ Multiple sclerosis ( genetic disorder)/ vascular causes when blood supply to cord is hampered/ post vaccination for viral disease. They will also exclude para neoplastic conditions.
You are being investigated to find the exact cause & then would be offered with specific treatment.
Please don't be scared You are in a good hospital. Believe your treating doctors. Be positive & patient.
60 to 90 % of patients are left with no neurological deficit. So prognosis of the condition is nice.
Hope this has helped you. Any thing more you want to ask.. please feel free to ask. I would be happy to help.With best wishes & speedy recovery.
Thanks