What causes transient numbness in the penile area after wearing a tight pant?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 24 Jun 2014 in Sexual Health
Question: Sir, I am a male of age 33. Yesterday I wore a tight pant. After about 5/6 hours I suddenly felt numbness in my penile area(penis and scrotum). I immediately moved to toilet and saw that the penis has become very small. I rub the skin on the penis a little with my hand and passed urine(Although it was not needed to pass urine that time). Then within a minute the numbness disappeared and slowly it came to normal. Sir is it anything serious like testicular torsion ??? Sir I am having an epididymal cyst in left testicle since 10/12 years without pain which I diagnosed recently by showing it to a local urologist. I am attaching the ultrasound report of scrotum which was done in last September. Sir please help me is it anything serious like torsion or torsion & de-torsion ??? Or is it anything serious like cancer or any other ???
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing serious, don't have to worry...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are very worried about the recent symptom on transient numbness in the penile area after wearing a tight pant. This is not at all a serious problem and commonly occurs in males when there is compression of the genital area - due to wearing tight clothing, sitting in odd positions for prolonged period of time, etc. This is similar to the transient numbness that you sometimes feel in your arms whenever you sleep with your arm compressed, while sleeping in an odd position.

This is not a symptom of testicular torson or cancer or any other serious problem. Also, epididymal cysts benign (i.e. non dangerous conditions) and are found in upto 30% of patients who undergo scrotal ultrasound. They usually do not require any treatment and don't result in any complications.

So, in conclusion, there is absolutely nothing to worry at present. You can forget about what happened and relax. Just ensure that you dont wear such tight clothing in the future.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist