What causes transient ischemic attack?
the most significant and common risk factor stroke/Tia is systolic blood pressure elevation. if you don't have significant carotid disease (normal mra) and no risk factors for atrial fibrillation (normal cardiac echo) them your most significant risk factor is hypertension. the reason for this is long term damage. over time the blood vessels respond to high pressure by replacing the elastic tissue with tough scar tissue. diabetes/high cholesterol then cause damage and narrowing of the blood vessel predisposing it to blockages that wouldn't normally affect someone without narrowing. that's why the aspirin helps by thinning your blood. but even aspirin is only 30% protective. strokes can still occur. the best preventative measure is control of blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar. aspartame has not been directly shown to be causal but possibly associated. if you do not have any of the above risk factors then other possible diagnoses could be considered by your doctor. hope this helps
I will do the adult aspirin and give up the aspartame--I exercise every day and weigh 120 for years--stable blood sugar, etc--thank you--
Glad I could help
my pleasure. stay on top of this. if it happens again it is most likely not a Tia/stroke as they rarely happen the same way multiple times. other things like seizure should be considered. if anything happens like that again go straight to the emergency room for evaluation for stroke treatments
Since then I have taken my adult aspirin and am doing exercise, and my regular life commitments--but I am very tired. Is that a normal result of TIA? Thanks, XXXXXXX C
Tias are self limited events and if you make it through one without any brain MRI lesions there should be no consequences. rarely does Tia cause confusion. you might want to look into a paroxysmal even work-up which includes seizure and pre-syncope.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pathophysiology transient ischemic attack
- Transient ischemic attack and flying
- What are the symptoms of transient ischemic attack ?
- Transient ischemic attacks gallbladder
- Epilim and transient ischemic attack
- Transient ischemic attack symptoms
- Transient ischemic attack treatment
- Can marijuana cause a transient ischemic attack
- Transient ischemic attack prognosis
- Causes transient ischemic attacks
- What causes difficulty in focusing?
- What causes transient ischemic attack?
- Suggest treatment for persistent headaches
- Suggest treatment for idiopathic diseases
- Suggest treatment for headache and dizziness with history of syphilis
- Suggest treatment for dizziness and imbalance issues
- What causes electric sensation radiating through spine and entire body?
- What is the cause and treatment for vestibular neuronitis?
- What causes carpal tunnel syndrome?
- What causes numbness and tingling in legs and hands?