question-icon

What causes top layer of skin on mole to peel during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015
Question: I have a mole on my shoulder that I have had for as long as I can remember (it is smaller than a pencil eraser). I am 30 weeks pregnant, and noticed it may have become a little darker. Today, I looked at it and it seemed like part of it was coming off, so I very lightly scratched it with my fingernail and the whole top layer came off. Now, what is left underneath is a lighter brown mole. I have pictures I can upload.. Is this concerning?
The photos attached are the before and after.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
no need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to hcm.

As I can see from photos, there are no some signs that could indicate malignancy or suspicious mole. It doesn't have irregular borders. Since you have it for longer period then it shouldn't be problematic. However,for more detailed examination,you should see dermatologistnd in after pregnancy this mole can be surgically removed under local anesthesia. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Do you think it needs to be removed?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
It should be removed but it is not necessary to do it now in pregnancy since it will be unnecessary stress for you. You can remove it later and send to analysis but as I said there is no fear of some serious lesions as I can see.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon