Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes toothache with puss under the tooth?

May 2018
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 12959 Questions
Hi, This is for my dad
He has unbearable pain on his teeth. Grinding tooth was filled and it has been painfuk from then. We took an xray and the soctor said there is puss under the tooth. They said they have to extract the puss and gave Augumentin and falygil.pain killers like voltarine.
Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like abscess, please upload x ray.

Detailed Answer:
So sorry to hear about your father's problem, will try my best to help you.

As per your explanation it looks like an abscess.
For complete relief the tooth has to be treated..

To understand the exact condition of the tooth I need to see the x ray.
So please upload his x ray so that I can advise you appropriately that tooth should be saved by doing Root canal treatment or needs extraction.

Also please provide following details:
-Since how long is he taking the above described medication?
-Please write down the exact name of painkiller that he is taking, volteran is a topical gel?
-ls there swelling also present?

Please revert back..


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes toothache with puss under the tooth? 1 hour later
He is diabetic patient with H1a1C 10. Cataflam is a tablet. He tried to do RCT but too much pain.Last 9 days he is on antibiotic
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an Endodontist.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, I can see nerve exposure in the picture..
That is causing pain..
Consult an Endodontist as they specialise in Root canal treatment.
9 days of antibiotic are enough.
First of all get the filling removed to release pressure and it will help in reducing pain too..
Also stronger painkillers like Ketorolac can be taken to reduce pain..

Hope this helps..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor