What causes toothache with puss under the tooth?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Hi, This is for my dad
He has unbearable pain on his teeth. Grinding tooth was filled and it has been painfuk from then. We took an xray and the soctor said there is puss under the tooth. They said they have to extract the puss and gave Augumentin and falygil.pain killers like voltarine.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like abscess, please upload x ray.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
So sorry to hear about your father's problem, will try my best to help you.

As per your explanation it looks like an abscess.
For complete relief the tooth has to be treated..

To understand the exact condition of the tooth I need to see the x ray.
So please upload his x ray so that I can advise you appropriately that tooth should be saved by doing Root canal treatment or needs extraction.

Also please provide following details:
-Since how long is he taking the above described medication?
-Please write down the exact name of painkiller that he is taking, volteran is a topical gel?
-ls there swelling also present?

Please revert back..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
He is diabetic patient with H1a1C 10. Cataflam is a tablet. He tried to do RCT but too much pain.Last 9 days he is on antibiotic
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an Endodontist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes, I can see nerve exposure in the picture..
That is causing pain..
Consult an Endodontist as they specialise in Root canal treatment.
9 days of antibiotic are enough.
First of all get the filling removed to release pressure and it will help in reducing pain too..
Also stronger painkillers like Ketorolac can be taken to reduce pain..

Hope this helps..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj