What causes tooth discoloration?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: My teeth are turning to the black color, what causes this? i m brushing my teeth regularly, Please check the attached images and suggest.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Extrinsic stains due to smoking, scaling and polishing

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and the images.
As far as the black stains over the teeth is concerned it can be because of the extrinsic stains and deposits due to smoking or coffee or pan chewing. You have not mentioned about the smoking history, please mention about any history of smoking or pan chewing. Your teeth are not in proper alignment, so you are more prone to develop stains. if you have the smoking habit you need to quit it. Regarding the stains, you need to get a scaling (cleaning and polishing) done. Maintain the oral hygiene thereafter.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 5 hours later
Hi Dr.

For your information, i do not have any habit of smoking and coffee and pan chewing. It is happened recently so not may due to scaling.. Please revise your answer.. Thank you..
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chromogenic bacteria, mouthwash, sticky food, scaling

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
If you don't have the habit of smoking or pan chewing or coffee, the other rare possible causes can be because of the chromogenic bacteria that results in these kind of stains. Even use of mouth wash can result in extrinsic stains(if you are using mouth wash) or failure to clean your teeth after eating any sticky food items like chocolates or pastries. In your case there is an obvious cause of malaligned teeth which makes the teeth more prone for stains. The only way of getting these stains removed is by scaling so get scaling done.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng