What causes tonic-clonic seizures?
Abnormal brain discharges.
Hello and thanks for using HCM.
I have read your questions and understand your concerns.
Tonic-clonic seizures are a type of generalized seizure that affects all the brain activity.
The cause is abnormal brain electricity discharge that starts in one point and spreads on entire brain resulting in loss of consciousness, muscles stiffness and jerking movements.
You should consult a Neurologist, being tested with brain imaging (MRI to rule out any brain lesions) electroencephalogram (EEG), and starting treatment with antiepileptic drugs.
Strobe lights, loud noises, fatigue, alcohol, drugs, insuficient sleep, etc. all of these may trigger a seizure, so avoid them too.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Welcome back and thanks for being on follow up.
Tonic-clonic seizure includes loss of consciousness, so what you are experiencing are probably partial seizures.
Getting tested with brain MRI and electroencephalography is indispensable to reach the correct diagnosis.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Tonic clonic seizure due to alcohol
- Tonic-clonic seizures causes
- Generalized tonic-clonic seizures
- Medicines of tonic clonic seizures in ayurveda
- Symptoms of tonic-clonic seizures
- Generalised tonic clonic seizures and infertility
- Tonic clonic seizure sore muscles
- Suggest treatment for tonic clonic seizures
- Diagnosis of tonic-clonic seizures
- Dreams during tonic clonic seizures