What causes toe numbness?

Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Two weeks ago, I woke up and found that the little toe on my left foot was completely numb. The next day it wasn't numb but was swollen and painful. The skin is not broken and the nail is OK but it feels as if it is infected. I have been to see my doctor and he says to bathe it for an hour each day in soap flakes and salty water. It hasn't improved.
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
rule out other diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Ist we have to make a diagnosis.
It seems that you may have either arthritis or gout or any mild infection, I advice you to go for a Xray and blood test like serum uric acid.
Visit your doctor again and if he can take out some fluids from the swollen toe - diagnosis may be confirmed.
meanwhile you can try over the counter pain killer like paracetamol etc.

Hope this will help

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar