question-icon

What causes tissue pieces in urine and pain during urination?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: Urinating some kind of fleshy skin like pieces pain to urinate urgency to urinate feels like I always have to urinate no other pains I did have some flu like symptoms but only for a day
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Time to go in for a urinalysis and culture

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry you are having trouble.

You may have a urinary tract infection and/or you may have a urinary tract stone or "gravel" (tiny stones). Prostatitis is also a possibility.

Only way to know what is going on for sure is to go in and be evaluated. Your evaluation should start with a urinalysis. They can do an immediate "dip" urinalysis that gives some information, but a sample should be sent to lab for a complete urinalysis and culture/antibiotic sensitivity test if appropriate (and it sounds like it would be appropriate). Imaging studies such as xray and ultrasound can help give information too. And you should be examined - for flank area tenderness (kidney), and prostate.

Best to go in tonight to get this sorted out. Or tomorrow morning at the latest. If you have fever, nausea, or return of fluish symptoms, go in promptly because these can be signs of kidney infection.

If you are willing, please let me know how you are doing after you are evaluated.

Best regards.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh