What causes tiredness while on several medication?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 53. female, I take bystolic for bp, ompresol for acid reflex, effexer or anxiety, and primpro for HRT.
I am so tired all the time, I might have 2 or 3 days when I feel good, then its like the next 3 or 4 days I will sleep 12 to 14 hrs.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it is important performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis of different causes that may lead to this clinical scenario:

- chronic anemia
- low blood pressure
- electrolytes imbalance
- thyroid hormone dysfunction
- adrenal gland dysfunction
- vitamin deficiency
- chronic fatigue syndrome.

Comin to this point, I would recommend performing some tests to investigate for the possible causes:

- complete blood count
- fasting glucose
- blood electrolytes
- thyroid hormone levels
- cortisol plasma levels
- PCR and sedimentation rate for inflammation
- kidney and liver function tests
- Vitamin D and vitamin B12 plasma levels.

If all these tests result normal, you should consider chronic fatigue syndrome as the possible cause of your symptoms. In such case I would recommend switching from effexor to duloxetine which is very effective in this disorder.

Meanwhile I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values frequently during the day and refer these values to your doctor.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri