What causes tiredness, sleeplessness and dark circles?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello I was wondering If you could help me with a problem I'm having. My current symptoms are:
-a sense of weakness, low vitality (I'm 24 but feel like I'm an old man)
-Tiredness, unrefreshed sleep. I have no problem falling asleep but I wake up feeling more tired than when I went to bed.
-Dark circles & always have tired bloodshot eyes. My eyes look dull.
I added pictures of my nails that have changed recently, they used to be normal but now I've developed ridges in all my nails in a few months from having none at all. They are sometimes half blue/half pink but recently changed to being more white nails. I don't have anemia my ferretin level is 140.
I just don't feel right.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that your features are very suggestive of chronic fatigue syndrome or Fibromyalgia . But before reaching to this diagnosis we need to rule out other disease specially thyroid dysfunction, lupus by getting ANA levels, CPK for ruling out myositis etc.

Your whole routine blood tests need to be done, if they are normal then fibromyalgis is the only thing that comes to my mind.

So, Please get CBC, Thyroid profile, ANA levels and CPK tests and attach the reports to help you in a better way.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 30 minutes later
thank you for your reply Dr XXXXXXX

Could I ask what your opinion of my recent nail changes could indicate? It's only this year that it happened. Another thing to add is that 3 months ago I had Raw goats milk that caused me to have a UTI with gross hematuria and bloodclots in the urine, I was given antibiotics and the infection went away. However the doctor did mention that my white blood cells where still elevated. Could my nail be reflective of some form of kidney damage? or do you think it has no relevance. I will say that at the start of this year I stupidly tried a thing called a 'Liver cleanse' which I read online. This is roughly when my nails started to be noticeably different. I also forgot to mention that since then my eyes are slightly bloodshot ever since, could it be liver related? thank you
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for reverting back .

It can be indicative of liver disease but can be non specific also thats why I wanted to see all your routine blood tests which includes both Liver Function Tests and Kidney Function Tests. Only after seeing that we can comment on it .

It can also occur in people who are alcoholics.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj