What causes tiredness and drowsiness in an elderly person?
many things can cause fatigue
Hello and thank you for your question.
Many things can cause fatigue. See your doctor and make sure that you are not anemic and that your thyroid is well controlled. You might want to ask for a Vitamin B12 and vitamin D level also.
Another common cause of daytime sleepiness is sleep apnea so discuss this with your doctor and see if he/she thinks you may need to be tested for that.
If there are no medical causes then the best thing to do is to get up and walk for 10-15 minutes whenever you start to feel very sleepy.
Another correctable cause is eating too many carbohydrates in the diet. Carbs are sweets and starches like bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. Some people find that if they cut way back on carbs in their diet they have much more energy.
Make sure you are getting enough sleep at night. Drink at least two liters of water daily. Take a multivitamin daily. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Cut back on carbs and eat only small portions of lean meat and fish.
Good luck to you and I hope you are feeling better soon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does benicar cause drowsiness
- What causes drowsiness at noon
- Tiredness back neck pain drowsiness irritability causes and treatment
- What causes fatigue and tiredness
- Is drowsiness or unusual tiredness or weakness a side effect of zanaflex?
- What causes severe tiredness
- Pulsating pain in forehead tiredness drowsiness what could be this
- What are the causes for lightheadedness and tiredness
- What could be causing tiredness
- Drowsiness causes