What causes tinnitus?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Today I started to have ringing in both ears. It sounds like locust. My ears have been bothering me but this is new. would this have anything to do with Insulinoma?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1.In your case, the most common causes for Tinnitus is:
a. Age related
b. Fluctuations in Blood Sugar Level
c. Fluctuations in Blood Pressure
d, Cervical Spine issues.
Almost all people at some point in their lives experience tinnitus. Tinnitus does not have a cure, however, it may be controlled.

2. Get your ears examined to rule out any ear wax which is one of the commonest causes of Tinnitus. Also rule out any perforation of the ear drum. Decreased hearing also makes one more aware of tinnitus. Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done. If you have a hearing loss, amplification may help mask the tinnitus. You may also get your middle ear pressures checked (Impedance Audiometry or Tympanometry).

3. The exact cause of Tinnitus is unknown. However one of the the agreed pathologies is damage to or loss of to hair cells in the inner ear. The role of the brain in the perception of Tinnitus also exists. For example, some people have been relieved of Tinnitus after a cerebral stroke, while some continue to hear it even after the Cochlear (Hearing) Nerve is cut.

4. I have noticed patients who have increased Tinnitus when they are stressed, have fluctuations of blood pressure, low hemoglobin, low blood sugar levels and so on.

5. Cochlear Synaptic Tinnitus may be treated in up to 50% people with Caroverine infusion followed by capsules for two months. Other treatments such as transtympanic steroids, gingko biloba, multi-vitamins and anti-oxidants may also help in reducing Tinnitus.

6. Tinnitus as the only symptom of an Insulinoma is extremely rare.

7. I must emphasize that in a vast majority of patients of tinnitus, the cause is never found. However there are further treatment options depending on the type of tinnitus.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.