• question-icon

What causes tinnitus and hearing loss in ears?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've had the following symtoms in my ears for about a month now. My right ear is sorse than my left one though.

Feeling of being plugged
Partial hearing loss
Constant quiet ringing in right ear
Loud noises are hard to tolarate
Loud sounds like music makes a funny noise in my right ear. It's like a vibrstion sound.
There's no pain but for years at times they get very itchy inside.

What could this be.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to degenerative process affecting the ears.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query and understand your concerns. You seem to be having a sensorineural hearing loss associated with tinnitus. The inner ear has the organ of hearing. Here the sounds are converted to neural signals. A defect here could lead to the symptoms mentioned. You need to get a pure tone audiometry done. Management can be planned based on the reports.

The ithiness is unrelated. Unless too bothering, nothing needs to be done about it.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 minutes later
It came on suddenly also. Just all the sudden my ear was plugged and there was some hearing loss. I can remember it happening. It wasn't just gradual. What is ithiness? It wouldn't be an infection?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. It could be due to a viral infection but I would insist on getting the audiometry done. The affected organ is the inner ear as mentioned earlier.

In case of a viral infection a better and quicker outcome can probably be expected.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha