• question-icon

What causes tinnitus along with partial hearing loss?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey doctor,

I had a cold over a week ago and last Friday my hearing became blocked. So it has now been around 9 days now and it is still blocked and I cant hear that well out of the ear along with tinnitus. It hasnt gotten worse and it hasn't improved at the same time. Could this be linked to Sensorineural hearing loss or is it still blocked by the cold? I went to my doctor last week and he said it could be blocked for up to 2-3 weeks is that correct? I have had blocked ears many times in the past but I can never be sure and the only ear that ever blocks is my left one.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is common

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Hearing loss and tinnitus can occur with recent cough/cold and it can lasts for weeks as your doctor mentioned.

This can be due to different reasons such as eustachian tube dysfunction , sinus involvement, ear infection etc
The eustachian tube is a tube in the ear that connects the middle ear to a part of the back of the throat.
it has different functions.

Abnormal function of the eustachian tube can occur when a person has the cold/flu/sinus infection.

The use of decongestant/antihistamine combinations may help with the hearing loss eg claritine d, allegra d, zyrtec d, benadryl d.
With most, it is usually watch and wait

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Thanks for that doctor so you think it would be sensorineural hearing loss though how would you be able to tell or could it also be ear wax blockage maybe? Ive tries decongestants and nasal sprays but they haven't done too much, ive also tried the vascular maneuver which doesnt do a huge amount and it sometimes pops.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sensorineural hearing loss not associated with this type of infection

Detailed Answer:
HI

This hearing loss can occur commonly in persons with the flu/cold and is not related to sensorineural hearing loss.
Sensorineural hearing loss can occur in different settings including infection but not this type of infection

If common cold/flu was associated with type of hearing loss, then hearing loss would be very common.

The decongestants and maneuver do not help everyone, for most it is watch and wait

If you are still concerned then you should see an ENT doctor for assessment
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 minutes later
Sounds good thank you for clearing that up one last thing is there anything I can do when my ear becomes senestive to sounds? It seems to happen after I do the vascular maneuver.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unfortunately no particular treatment available

Detailed Answer:
HI

Unfortunately there is no particular medical treatment that may be helpful for the noise sensitivity that you are experiencing.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James