• question-icon

What causes tingling sensations in the hand?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have diabetes and I have tingling in my left hand and pain in my left arm on the outside. I was diagnosed with a pinched nerve in my left shoulder. I had a shot in my neck in January and it helped with the pain in my shoulder and arm. The tingling has been going on for about 2 months. I thought because the tingling was in only my left hand, the tingling was related to the pinched nerve instead of the diabetes. It is very cold where I work and the tingling is worse when I am at work.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I agree that most probably the cause is not diabetes.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

I think too that the tingling is not because of diabetes, but because of a pinched nerve. It takes a lot of time to heal sometimes, especially if you have not identified what is causing it and trying to avoid. Also, you may need physical therapy, because the muscles of the arm may get weak if the nerve is not healthy for a long time.

The reason why I think it is not from diabetes, is because it would give loss of sensitivity in both arms, and even more in the feet more then the hands.
On the other side, if you are keeping diabetes under control it is less likely that neuropathia would happen so acutely.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako