What causes tingling sensations in the arms of an elderly person?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: my wife is 74 yrs old. for the last month she ccomplains about a tingling like pins and needles in her left arm. does not do it continually . only ocasionally. never complained about ever before.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern about your wife.

Judging by the abnormal tingling sensations involving only one limb the most likely cause to those symptoms would be a peripheral nerve compression. The most common cause would be compression of the nerve root in the neck. It may happen due to cervical disk disease with disk bulges compressing the nerve root or from arthritic changes with inflammation.

A neurological visit is advised to check for other neurological signs you might have missed to confirm such compression (sensory alterations in a nerve territory, muscle weakness, altered reflexes etc) or indicate some other cause like a brain/spinal cord lesion or nerve compression in the periphery. A neck MRI and/or nerve conduction studies may be ordered as well.

Since there are only mild symptoms if the diagnosis is confirmed management would be only physical therapy in order to improve muscle strength to better support the spine and avoid worsening.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.