• question-icon

What causes tingling sensations and swelling in the feet?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Both feet & ankles swollen. R leg larger than L. Tingling in R foot.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to increased fluid retention, which could be caused by different medical disorders (heart failure, electrolyte imbalance, kidney or liver dysfunction, drug adverse effects, etc.).

Are you taking any drugs actually? Calcium channel blockers (nifedipine, amlodipine, etc.) can lead to a similar symptomatology.

Chronic venous insufficiency of the lower limbs can not be excluded either.

Coming to this point, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for some tests:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG, a cardiac ultrasound to examine your heart function and structure
- NT-pro BNP levels for heart failure
- blood electrolytes
- fasting glucose for diabetes
- kidney and liver function tests
- a urine analysis.

If all the above tests result normal, I would recommend performing a Doppler ultrasound of the leg vessels to investigate for possible venous insufficiency.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
I am diabetic 2. I take h2o pill for retention. Recently had stress test which was normal. A little history. I'm type 2 diabetic, 225 lbs, I take a diuretic, recent stress test normal. I sweat profusely.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the additional information.

Diabetes can cause leg swelling, but it is necessary to exclude the other above mentioned causes too.

The cardiac stress tests has helped to exclude coronary artery disease, but it is not the best test for heart failure.

For this reason, I would recommend performing a cardiac ultrasound and the other above mentioned tests in order to investigate for the possible causes.

HbA1C levels and fasting glucose are also necessary to closely monitor your diabetes.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 36 hours later
What is treatment for blocked femoral arteries?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

First, I would like to explain that blocked femoral arteries are a medical emergency. Besides the legs are not swollen in this clinical situation, but they are white and cold, because of the loss of blood flow. The treatment is emergent blood clot evacuation and blood thinners.

In your clinical situation, the situation is not so acute and a venous disorder (chronic venous insufficiency) should be considered. Deep vein thrombosis (including femoral vein thrombosis) has a similar clinical scenario (swollen legs), but the situation is more acute (the symptoms appear within some hours) and it is typically associated to severe leg pain.

Anyway, a Doppler ultrasound of the leg vessels would help examine your vessels (arteries and veins) and exclude these possible disorders.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
I had forgotten about this. Found this report in my files. I'm sending report of scan of my legs. I hope u can read it. If so, what do u advise me to do? Thank you, Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I reviewed carefully your Doppler ultrasound report and would explain that the technician has only examined the leg arteries, which show mild narrowing related to atherosclerosis (also called peripheral arteriopathy).

But, these findings are not related to the swollen legs. Peripheral arteriopathy can cause pain during walking, and thus limitation of the walking distance, but it does not cause swollen legs.

Swollen legs could be related to chronic venous insuficiency of fluid retention (heart failure, kidney or liver dysfunction).

That is why it is important performing further tests to investigate for the possible causes of your complaints:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- NT-pro BNP levels
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood electrolytes
- a urine analysis
- a Doppler ultrasound of the leg vessels (including the veins).

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 hours later
Thank you Dr. Sharka. I have an appointment with PCP this morning. I will be discussing the issues we have discussed. With kind regards, XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist