• question-icon

    What causes tingling sensation on the tip of the penis?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi there Dr.

I'm calling with regards to a problem I seem to be facing. Over the past week, I experienced a tingling sensation at the tip of my penis. This is sensation then turned into a busing sensation when urinating and now for the past 3 days it's just a a tingling sensation when sitting down or in a resting state. When I'm walking about or being active there seems to be no issues at all.

I went to see a urologist here in Dubai they did a urine test and a urine culture and sensitivity test whereby the results came back stating that there was no issue. I have attached the results herewith for your reference. If there is anything you could add or advise I would be most appreciative.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to inflammation of Urethra (Urethritis)

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query .

You have not mentioned your age in your query .

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) Did this problem started after having a sex ?
2) Did you have unprotected sex or oral sex ?

The tingling sensation in penis usually is due to inflammation of urethra (Urethritis) which follows after
1) Either unprotected sex or Oral sex
2) After having sex with a female partner having vaginal infection ..
3) Having protected sex with chemically lubricated condom

You need to take broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefixime along with anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily.

Ensure to wash your genitals with warm water twice daily.

Ensure to avoid sexual encounters till it heals up completely.

It should get cured within a week .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX yes it started a little while after having intercourse with my wife. At times she encounters yeast infections. I am 27 years a of age.

Yes my wife and I are having unprotected sex with one another. We have been married for almost 4 months now. It's the 1st time of encountered this. We were both virgins at the time we got married as well.

The anti biotic is it something I can pick up over the counter with the recommendation you made?

Is the inflammation in the urethra something that can be made better?

Would the urine and culture test not have picked up the infection if there was one?

Thanks doctor
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflammation is not infection .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up .

Inflammation is not necessarily with infection hence can not be detected in culture or routine urine examination.

If your wife has white discharge or slight itching in genitals get her examined by a qualified Gynecologist and treat accordingly.

Medicines especially antibiotics are generally available on prescriptions of a qualified Dr. However you can get it over the counter.

It should get cured within 5 days.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr. Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 16 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
O.K Bye Have a good health

Detailed Answer:
O.K Take care
Have a good health
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 10179 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Tingling sensation

doctor1 MD

When I woke up this morning, my left eye was blood shot, as if a vessel had broken. I have no pain, but I do have a slight tingling sensation ....

doctor1 MD

For about 3-4 weeks I get a sharp pain in my left shin (beside the bone), mostly when I stand up after sitting. Sometimes the pain shoots up the...

doctor1 MD

I have been having tingling sensation on my right shoulder. Only about four-five times a day. This has been going on for five days. Only lasts for...

doctor1 MD

I have a dear friend whom woke up one morning with a blackened/ red eye lid. There was a slight swelling but no tingle sensation/ numbness. The...

doctor1 MD

Doctor, I am an 18 year old male, I recently came back from a week in Cuba, and about halfway during my stay I started getting minor mouth sores...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

168 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. P. T. Patil
  • Q - Have stomach pain, fever and loose stool. On omniprzole and ciplox. Any...

  • Q - Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on...

  • Q - On medication for BP, body pain and frequent urination. Getting weakness...

  • Q - Having pain in testicle and noticed dark skin on it. What to do?

  • Q - Took medication for neurological problem and never had a desire for...

  • Q - Experiencing prolonged menstrual periods. What to do?

  • Q - Have increase frequency and urgency of urination. Any treatment?

  • Q - Why does my penis look small when not erect?

  • Q - Having on and off mouth ulcer. What is causing this and how to get rid...

  • Q - Noticed movable lump on the side of abdomen. What could it be?