What causes tingling sensation on the feet of an elderly person?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: my father has tingling in his feet. He has a B12 deficiency. Doctor wants to do an EMG on him. Is this procedure needed?

he is on coumiden. has DVT. he is afraid his legs will cramp up during the EMG procedure. is this test a must to check for nerve damage? what will he need to do if there is nerve damage?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated if required as suggested

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is commonly seen in elderly due to poor absorption and decreased diet.
Nerve conduction study is required to evaluate neuropathy.
If vitamin B 12 deficiency seems to be consistent with clinical findings then emg can be deferred and response to treatment should be followed.
Most symptoms improve in few months.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 3 days later
if the EMG shows nerve damage, what would be the course of action to help his feet.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further investigation will be required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for following up,
I have gone through your question.

EMG proven neuropathy requires further investigation to look for the cause.
Blood test like blood sugar, thyroid profile, immunoelectropheresis may be required.
Other investigations can be planned according to type of neuropathy detected on EMG.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee