What causes tingling sensation in wrist?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have just experienced for the first time tingling in my wrists....have been moving things around the house, working a lot with hands and carrying things heavier than normal. ..plus snapping beans and chopping vegetables this afternoon. It came on about 5 hours ago and is continuing in both wrists. no pain. just tingling. All else feels normal. I have also been using the computer and typing a lot the last few days as well. This is a normal activity for me however.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
compression neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
This is common condition and considering your activities,it may be time to slow down a bit:) All these activities include often use of hand muscles which may swell and cause nerve compression. These nerves go through certain canals in arm,so called carpal tunnel,cubital tunnels etc. If carpal tunnel become narrowed,it may lead to symptoms you describe and this is called carpal tunnel syndrome. Symptoms include tingling in fingers and part of hand. At this,point,you should rest,apply warm compresses,take ibuprofen 400mg and wait for recovery. If there I'd no improvement you should see doctor to give you steroid shot and do neurography if the hand to rule out carpal syndrome. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D