What causes tingling sensation in the upper thigh after hysterectomy?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I feel tingling or pins and needles in my upper thigh after my hysterectomy ? What would be the cause ?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
genito-femoral nerve entrapment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
This could happen in some of the cases when genitofemoral nerve accidentally gets trapped during dissection and / or is severed. The extent of tingling numbness would have to be evaluated and assessed. This shall subside in few weeks once regeneration of nerve occurs and you may require vitamin b complex injection to soothe down the tingling.
Please consult your operating surgeon and get evaluated.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 days later
It's my 8th week post op for hysterectomy. Is it normal thay i feel tingling or pins and needles in my body too. It's on and off. Just in case theres a nerve damage occur. Do you think the nerve damage will be heal and i'll be back to normal. Do i need massage or physiotherapy?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
The feeling of pins and needles should not be felt through out the body after the hysterectomy, it should be restricted to lower limbs specifically but if it is so, then most common cause for the same shall be diabetes or neuropathy. If there is a nerve damage then it generally takes 2-3 months to completely regenerate itself.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 17 hours later
Aside from tingling or pins and needles in my body
I have experienced pain on my both arms. My operation was hysterectomy but didn't remove my both ovaries. Right now I'm taking naproxen it helps a little bit. Can you please help me what to do?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
I really don't think in that case hysterectomy is the cause of the sensations that you are experiencing throughout body and also pain in both arms. Another likely diagnosis could be cervical spondylosis which can cause similar sensations in both arms with pain and posterior occipital headaches. For that you need to get a cervical X-ray done.