• question-icon

What causes tingling sensation in the tongue while on Metoprolol?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been taking Metoprolol Succinate with M 50 on it for about 15 years..My pharmacy has substituted Metoprolol with A MO which I am allergic too What is the difference and what do I do now? Dr don't believe Im allergic to it but as soon as I take the A Mo my mouth lips and tongue start tingling and slightly swelling I get trembling and almost faint.. I get a large a lump in my throat and my heart starts to palpitate . I'm a 77 year old female who has had two strokes and a heart attack with five stents and a pace maker. how can I get back to the original medication ??? Help please. Im not trying to get attention and all the things Dr seem to thing Seniors are trying to get..I just don't like feeling like a Zombie..
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Maam

After going through the medical details provided by you i would like to tell you that Its practically impossible to be allergic to same drug with just two different marketing names.

M 50 tablet also contains Metoprolol and A MO tablet also contains Metoprolol and also both are manufactured by PAR pharma company, so its possible to be allergic to one and not other.

As you are used to M 50 for such a long time that why its just your thoughts that's making you feel that way on taking a tablet with A Mo on it.

So i would like to tell you that just follow the advise of your doctor that you are alright or else try to get the same medicine from some other drug store as both are same.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 10 minutes later
Then why would I have the reaction as soon as I swallow the medication??? I did not know the different markings until my Dr pointed it out..Im not imagining these feelings..Thank you greatly for your help... Maybe dosage is too high Im taking 75 mg daily.....Im at my wits end over this....
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Ma'am the if you really feel uncomfortable after taking that particular med then the only and simple solution to that is to STOP taking it and get the same medicine which you were taking before from other medical store.

As its not discontinued by the manufacturer so you wont be facing any trouble in getting that.

Ask me back if you have any other doubts or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 21 minutes later
I was told it was discontinued I will try other pharmacies...Thank you so much and God Bless...
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your your blessings

Detailed Answer:
Kindly close the discussion and rate the answer.

May God Bless us all

Dr Bhanu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist