What causes tingling sensation in the scalp?

Posted on Thu, 31 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: On the top of my head in my hair line-half way back on my right hemisphere of my scalp, I have a burning/tingling feeling in a specific location of about the size of a dime, or a little smaller for several weeks--mostly steady and annoying, not extremely noticeable, but more noticeable if
I push down on the area with my finger tip or eat spicy food? Any suggestions of what my be causing described irregular feeling?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Causes and evaluation of parasthesia

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

Parasthesias like burning/tingling on the scalp can be due to several reasons.
Dandruff, eczema of the scalp, or diseases affecting nerves like diabetes, vitamin B12 deficiency. In some patients, anxiety, and stress can trigger such symptoms.
Eczema and dandruff usually will be associated with hair loss.
Since you are complaining of the tingling only on a dime sized area more serious condition like stroke is not a concern.
Physical examination, blood sugar levels, vitamin B12 levels, complete blood count are warranted at this point.
Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Thanks for your response--I am supposed to have my A1C checked this month, since I may be pre-diabetic. I will discuss my symptoms further with my internal medicine physician later this month. My scalp is healthy; however, my family has history of Vitamin B-12 deficiency. I have heard that B-6 is also important for nervous system health? I have had a couple bad concussions when growing up, but not in recent years --hopefully that doesn't contribute to current nervous system problems; however, I do have a lot of stress at work and certain challenges do produce a lot of anxiety within me; and I do have hypertension. Any additional suggestions are welcome. Thx.

Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

I would recommend checking the HbA1c level, vitamin B6 levels,vitamin B12 levels.
Since you do not have hair fall or any other associated symptoms dandruff or eczema is unlikely.
Also restrain from alcohol, as alcohol can worsen nerve problems.
The concussion you had few years ago is unlikely contributer to your symptom.
It is also important to manage stress. Practice relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga.
Please be advised to undergo the necessary blood investigations.

Hope I was able to help you
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal