What causes tingling sensation in the right hand?

Posted on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: My right hand is asleep or tingling and it happened during the night and still feels the same 8 hours later. What des this indicate?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis: Stroke/ Peripheral nerve injury, advice to visit emergency room

Detailed Answer:
Thank You for the query ay HealthcareMagic

Sudden onset of loss of sensation and paralysis can either be due to a peripheral nerve injury or stroke. Peripheral nerve injury usually occur after an individual sleeps in an akward position compressing and injuring the nerve.
Stoke is a more central problem resulting either due to blood clot/ bleeding.
Physical examination assessing extent of neurological problem, and imaging studies to rule out stroke are needed at this point.

I recommend that you go to the emergency room for further management.

Hope I was able to answer your question
Please feel free to address any more concerns
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal