• question-icon

What causes tingling sensation in the lips and numbness in the throat?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a Type 2 Diabetic. Occassionally, I get tingling and numbness of my lips and numbness in my throat making it difficult to swallow. Usually it happens when I am eating, but not all of the time.
Have no idea what the cause is and if I should be concerned.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Numbness and tingling in any area of the body is usually related to abnormal function of the nerves that are responsible for supplying the area.

This is called neuropathy

It can be temporary or permanent and there are different possible causes.

As you would known, diabetes is one of the common causes of neuropathy. This happens if the diabetes control is not as good as it should be.

Other common causes would be: (1)trauma to the nerves. The nerves in the face would come from the brain.
Those in the arms, thorax, abdomen and lower limbs come from the spine.

(2)liver or kidney disease

(3)side effect of medication

(4)thyroid disease

(5)infection such as shingles

(6)autoimmune disease such as lupus, RA]

(7)low vitamin b12 or folate

(8)abnormal vit b6

Though diabetes is the likely cause, you should still have bloods to check the above
There are medications that can help with neuropathy eg amitriptyline, tegretol, dulexa, lyrica

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James