question-icon

What causes tingling sensation in left shoulder?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: yes. I have significant tingling in my left shoulder. It is intermittent and not really painful. what is it?

Please send answer to XXXXX as follows: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
peripheral neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Tingling and other abnormal sensations are usually related to nerve related disease.
It is called neuropathy- this is abnormal function of the nerves.

There are different possible causes such as: (a) vitamin b12 or folate deficiency
(b)diabetes
(c)trauma to the area which can cause damage or compression of nerves eg arthritis
(d)liver or kidney disease
(e)infection such as shingles
(f)side effect of medication
(g)some hormonal causes such as some cases of thyroid disease or in autoimmune conditions such as lupus, rheumatoid
(h)exposure to toxins
(i)alcohol use

If it is significant tingling and you wish to know the exact cause, you would need to be examined and need to have blood tests done.
Blood tests would be vitamin b12 and folate levels, liver/kidney function tests, diabetes screening.

There are medications that can help with neuropathy that your doctor can prescribe if needed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James