What causes tingling sensation in left hand and burning with pain in fingers?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my left hand has been experiencing pins and needles over the last few months and occasionally, once or twice a week, experiencing burning and numbness in the fingers and at times severe pain. Several times 4 to 6 times over that period I have been awaken and then taken ibeuprohen and the pain would ease and after waken up the hand would return, most of the time to normal. The last time, before last night, that I experienced the numbness, burning and pain was about 5 to 7 days ago, although there was slight numbness in the fingers.
Last night the pain was extremely severe and my middle 3 fingers on the left hand lost all feeling and my hand was burning and felt like the hand was being squeezed in a vice. The pain was from the wrist to the base of the fingers and lasted over 2 hours, Today the left hand fingers still have a slight pins and needles feeling as the fingers are asleep and the tips of the right hand fingers are now experience a beginning of the same sensations.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated and evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
You may be having either carpal tunnel syndrome or cervical radiculopathy.
In case of absence of neck pain, possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome is more likely.
You need to get nerve conduction study for diagnosis.
Are you having any other chronic illness like diabetes, hypothyroidism?
You can visit to a neurologist for examination.
You can take pregabalin, gabapentin or amitriptyline for relief along with methylcobalamin.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad