What causes tingling sensation in left arm and soreness in hand?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: my left hand feels strange seems to be a bit sluggish and bit of tingling in arm not sore just slight feeling
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from the fact that you do not mention any involvement of the face or the lower limb, but only the upper limb the most probable cause is a peripheral nerve issue, such as nerve root compression in the neck by arthritic changes or herniated disks or compression further down such as in the elbow or wrist due to trauma.
To check and confirm this hypothesis a neurological exam is necessary to check for motor strength in different muscle groups, reflexes, sensitivity changes, this way the involved nerve can be identified. If the exam confirms this hypothesis then tests like neck MRI and nerve conduction studies may be necessary to precise the damaged site and the cause.

The other hypothesis would be a brain lesion such as a stroke or tumor. However as I said before the fact there is involvement only of the upper limb makes it ulikely, usually the face and/or the lower limb is involved as well.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.