What causes tingling sensation in hands while breathing out a deep breath?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: What does it mean when i breathe in to take a deep breath and when i breathe out my hands tingle. Both hands. It keeps happening lately. Is this normal? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low CO2

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing again Healthcaremagic.

The tingling in your hands is not normal but it is not a manifestation of any worrying condition either.
The first explanation for that would be hyperventilation. If these deep breath cycle are repeated they can lead to hyperventilation in the lungs and lowering of the carbon dioxide (CO2) levels. A decrease in CO2 is well known to lead to such tingling sensations such as you describe. It is nothing to worry about or that would need treatment, the solution for that would be to try to slow down breathing if you are taking such deep breaths.

Another explanation could be simply anxiety which classically manifests with tingling in the hands.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 7 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome.