What causes tingling sensation in hands along with visual aura?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I have a question. I have had tingling in both hands off and on for a couple weeks. Especially when taking deep breaths. I had an episode of floaty lights like a shower of lights for a second when i was angry and arguing with my husband that went away pretty fast. Over the last year my platelets on blood tests have been slightly elevated, 390 to 420 being the highest. But the labs are flagging them as high. And my WBC have been off and on elevated from 12.9, to 11.9 highest being 12.9. I had an MRI Last year showing 2 small white matter suggestive of demyletaing disease, migraine..etc. do you think this is TIA/or stroke symptoms? Possible MS (multiple sclerosis)? I am making an appointment with a neurologist. I saw one 6 years ago for an MRI showing simliar things and he said it was migraine??.. I just feel like something is going on and its not migraine. My blood pressure ranges from 110/80..82 to 124/91. My doctor does not think i need to be on BP meds quite yet since it varies. What are your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would agree with a diagnosis of migraine.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your symptoms and lab reports. I would concur with a diagnosis of migraine. White spots on MRI brain are commonly seen in patients with migraine. Visual symptoms as in your case are part of visual aura (typically seen in migraine with aura). Though the platelet counts and WBC counts are slightly elevated, they are not specific.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 49 minutes later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thank you and best wishes

Detailed Answer:
Would be pleased to be of help in future too.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM