What causes tingling sensation in hand and numbness in fingers?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I injured my elbow approximately 3 years ago. I did not think the injury was significant at the time. However 2 weeks later my left hand was tingling and I had lost feeling in my left annular and pinky fingers.
Roughly 1/4 of my palm had become numb. After diagnosing bursitis, my local clinic referred me to a doctor in Dearborn, MI, who was reputed to be very skilled in nerve disorders of the hand. After examining me, performing xrays and an EMG he
diagnosed a nerve compression in my elbow. I began to ask a question about this compression in order to try and understand the risks of surgery, but the doctor simply walked out. Bottom line, I need to find a really good board certified neurological surgeon to help.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic ulnar nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Reading that description it is clearly a case of a ulnar neuropathy which is compression of the ulnar nerve which transverses the ulnar groove in the inner part of your elbow.
If intervened in time surgery is successful with complete, or at least marked improvement.
The problem in your case is that you have let a long time go by, generally if symptoms do not regress in 12 weeks it is intervened. So success of the surgery at this stage is uncertain, it depends on degree of severity of symptoms and duration, if the patient has marked numbness, muscle weakness and atrophy, than degree of improvement may be limited if compression has been present for such a long time. I would gladly recommend neurosurgeons in your area if you gave some more information on where you live.

In terms of dangers of surgery there is little risk, it is done under local anesthesia, not general one, so not much to fear. It's more a question of having realistic expectations and be prepared for the eventuality of symptoms persisting. Also keep in mind that improvement is not overnight usually takes about 3-6 months, some improvement can be noticed even later up to 12 months.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist