What causes tingling sensation in face and head?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Apr 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: For the past few months I've been having some sort of weird sensory symptoms. Symptoms like tingling in my face and head, and pins and needles feelings in both feet, some brain fog, a sort of warming sensation in my shoulders and neck at various times and in one hand, generalized fatigue and muscle pain, a bit of watery, blurry vision sometimes when I look to the side that clears upon blinking as well as periodic flashes of light, particularly against light backdrops; it''s a lot of little things really.

I've had a full neurological work up. No pappilodema or signs of raised intercranial pressure, no strength issues or balance issues. The neurologist treated me for migraines (of which I have a history of and a family history of complicated migraine) and said it was my choice to proceed with imaging if I wanted. (I've also recently had a ct scan of sinuses as I was getting pressure headaches which is what lead me to the neurologist to begin with).

My question is, does this sound like the possibility of ms? I know the symptoms are quite varied and this is sometimes hard to diagnose. The tingling in hands and feet does not generally last long but it is not positional dependent. The longest episode I've had had been about 10 minutes but this could happen many times over the course of the day. No other movement issues or paralysis or inability to use limbs, etc.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not suggestive of MS.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. I would like to reassure you that these are not suggestive of multiple sclerosis (MS).

For a symptom to qualify for MS, it should at least last for 24 hours.

These are non-specific symptoms and could be related to vitamin B12/D deficiency. I would agree with your neurologist that MRI scan is optional and not mandatory at this stage.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E