What causes tingling sensation in both feet and tightness in pelvic region?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello
april 12th I fell roller blading on my right shoulder and hit my head. Surprisingly the next day nothing hardly hurt. Two weeks later I started my usual waterskiing and my shoulder and next really tightened up and stayed that way. Noticed a bump on SCJ and got diagnosis that I dislocated my Right Sternoclavicular joint. My Orthopedic Surg said nothing can be done but to let it heal on it's own. Two months later in Mid XXXXXXX both feet started to feel tingling and tight in my sneakers. Changed sneakers to older ones same thing. My feet feel tight in dress shoes and Nike sneakers. I have to wear hiking type Merrill's to not cause a numb feel. The tingling is 99% feeling like it's on the bottom of my feet and the symptoms have stayed the same. Some time late XXXXXXX my 4 and 5 finger and now my thumb a little is tingling as well. Still the same. I am very active with a physical job, competition waterskiing and nothing makes the symptoms change for the worse. I have stopped skiing for the time being however because of the stress on my back until this situation goes away
What's been done. Full blood work up with nothing there. An L and S section MRI of my back. My back exhibits narrowing, 3 bulging disc. A 58 year old back that has been used pretty hard I was told. I should mention that I've never had any other symptoms like back pain. I had L4-5 disc surgery in 1999. I am scheduled this week for an EMG and a cervical MRI.
My neurologist has not offered any theory as yet and "I" have requested all of the above test along with a meeting with a podiatrist who put my on 16 prednisone for the feet I'm 10 days in. She just emailed me to say that if the C section of the MRI report doesn't show anything significant that I should return to normal activities such as waterskiing. I'm curious for another opinion. I'm puzzled if her actions are indicating that this is not as serious as I am concerned about. like something Spinal or C Disc situation.
To summarize the symptoms are tingling on the bottom of the feet and are only aggravated with tight shoes. the 2-3 fingers in each hand are the same for two months as well
regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are suggestive of peripheral neuropathy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and they are suggestive of peripheral neuropathy, a disease of nerves located in the skin.

The diagnosis can be confirmed by doing nerve conduction studies (NCV).

The usual underlying causes for peripheral neuropathy are diabetes, vitamin B12 deficiency and thyroid disease. All these can be ruled out by blood tests, if not already done.

In some cases, no cause can be identified for peripheral neuropathy.

For symptomatic relief, you may take pregabalin capsules.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 34 minutes later
Thank you for the reply. I did have a blood work up and the only thing that was high was my Thyroid somewhere in the 530 range. I'm suppose to retake it next month. Is it possible I did nerve damage during the fall then? Based on the symptoms I have to this point how much damage could I have done? I hear nerves regenerate? Does it mean something that the symptoms came on two months after the fall and they are still the same?
Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
The injury seems to be small.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

It is possible that fall contributed to the nerve damage, however, it appears to be minor.

Yes, the nerves do regenerate, however, it happens slowly and may take a few months more.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 hours later
thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thank you.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you and best wishes,

Would be pleased to be of help in future too!

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)