• question-icon

What causes tingling sensation and numbness in the lip?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My second back premolar bottom left broke 2 years ago. It niggle on an off but didn't concern me. 8 weeks ago the pain changed more intense but isolated. I saw a edodonist who said the tooth good not be saved and needed to be extracted. Last weekend the pain more intense and constant. By Sunday night tooth throbbing aching and I had spontanious numbness under my left lip and chin. I rang my specialist first thing and he organised have the tooth extracted that (been Monday) by a oral surgeon. Come Tuesday I started to get little faint tingling sensation in the chin. Today been day 6 I am still numb and I have tickling sensation on and of thought the day. The gum under my 4 front teeth is sensitive. Is tingling a sensation of the nerve repairing, and how long will it take to recover. I do have touch sensation to the top layer of skin and respond to cold sensation on the chin.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Root canal treatment can be done

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would insist you to go for root canal treatment. It will kill the sensitive nerve endings of the affected tooth but will preserve the tooth structure. A capping over the tooth will ensure that the structure is retained. You do not necessarily need to go for tooth extraction. Discuss with your dentist and he will do the needful.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 minutes later
Thanks, the tooth had to be extracted, it had been viewed and scanned by a specialist root canal not an option. My question is how long can I expect this numbness in the chin and is the tingling and sometimes burning sensation is this sign my nerve is recovering.
Brief Answer:
It can be a good sign

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update. The paresthesia is a complication possibly caused by the mandibular nerve getting irritated, inflamed or bruised during the procedure. It may last for a few weeks or less although occasionally it can go on for 6-12 months. You have to be patient. The parasthesia is actually a good sign indicating that the nerve may be on it's way back to healing after the injury.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha