• question-icon

What causes tingling sensation and numbness in the lip?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I had a 2nd molar extracted last Monday by a oral surgeon. It had been broken for 2 years. During that time it occasionally until recently the tooth was getting more uncomfortable. Last week the pain a lot worse by Sunday tooth throbbing and I had spontaneous numbness under the lip and chin. My endodontist organised to have the tooth removed urgently by a surgeon. Images of the infected/decayed tooth had been taken by the endodontist previously. On Tuesday day after extraction I started to get tingles in the chin area. Today (day6) I am still numb but the tingling occurs on an off throughout the day. I do have sensation of the top layer skin, I can feel pricks, and touch the the area. What are the sensation that a nerve is recovering and how long can it take.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to nerve injury.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Your symptoms are appearing to be due to nerve injury that can be due to trauma to the nerve caused due to either needle prick or can be during extraction..
So my suggestion is to wait for some more time as it can take for about 1-2 weeks to about a month for the nerve to recover..
For now start taking Vitamin B complex supplement and also do alternate warm and cool packs over the tingling areas 3-4 times a day..
Tingling can at times occur even when the nerve recovers..
So waiting for another week or two weeks is advisable..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 13 minutes later
Thank you the numbness appeared with the onset of pain, the infection has been present for awhile.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be inflamed nerve.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
It can be due to inflamed nerve.
Do not worry it will recover gradually as the inflammation will subside..

Hope this helps..
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist