What causes tingling in the right arm and numbness in the thumb?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had severe pain in my right bicep, tingling in my right arm and my right thumb in numb. I have had this condition for three weeks. it has slowly gotten better. the pain is gone, I still get tingling in my arm and the the tip of thumb is still numb. I am 66 years old and very active. I was installing sheetrock when these symptoms appeared. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be cervical nerve pressure.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
After reading the details , I think that you have pressure on one of the nerves starting in your neck . The nerve concerned supplies sensation and power to the area affected .
I would recommend pain killers , Muscle relaxants and physiotherapy ( including Muscle strengthening exercises.) If the pain and tingling persist for more than 10 days then please get a MRI of neck.
I hope to have been of help.

Take care,
Dr. Gopal Goel
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad