What causes tingling in head and numbness throughout the body?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am not sure, my father is a 74 year old, he said he is afraid to go to the doctor because he does not know how to explain what he is going through. His symptoms are as follows: He feels funny in the head like dizzy but not and then like a balloon going through his body, he goes completely numb from head to toe, he has had a quad heart bypass, he has degenerative spinal stenosis with major bone loss. He has not passed out yet, but has come very close.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medical evaluation and further tests are necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is indispensable for your father to go to the Doctor and to explain his concerns with its own words, I am sure the Doctor will get a correct opinion and will order the proper tests to diagnose your father's condition.

I'm my opinion, conditions such changes in blood pressure, transient ischemic attack (TIA ) should be considered and evaluated further.

Besides clinical and neurological examination monitoring of heart rhythm and blood pressure is necessary ( Holter monitoring ).

Brain MRI is necessary also, in order to understand better your father's condition.

Blood tests about thyroid gland function, sugar levels, vitamin B12 level also are necessary in my opinion.

Spinal stenosis could cause pain, numbness in well confined areas of the body, but is not responsible for these symptoms.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee