What causes tingling in foot after a metatarsal stress fracture?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 7 Oct 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi. I have a metatarsal stress fracture that and was in a walking boot for 2 weeks. Last week I was told to wear the boot when out and a good sneaker at home for 2 weeks. I'm now having tingling in my foot (when the boot is off) and getting scared that that something horrible is wrong.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry, it will gradually recover.

Detailed Answer:

It takes a bone 6-8 weeks to heal. Tingling in your foot could be due to temporary compression of superficial nerve fibers by the swelling itself or injury to it.

Do not worry, it will gradually recover. Elevate your limb most of the time and rest well.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 minutes later
So it is ok that only started recently? Its not something like a worsening break?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes , it is ok.

Detailed Answer:

Yes , it is ok. It is not something like a worsening break.
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Thank you. One last question. Does it make sense that the muscles on the ball of my foot are sore too? This started when i became XXXXXXX in the sbeaker. Every friend is telling me my dr should have had me in the boot for much longer than 2 weeks. Im supposed to follow up friday but worried i should try to go sooner
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry.

Detailed Answer:

Sore muscles on the ball of foot can occur . Do not worry. Follow the instructions of your treating doctor.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Warm regards.