What causes tingling in fingers when suffering from herniated disc?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Wed, 11 Feb 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: HI, I have a herniated C6 and C7.It has started to bother me for about a week now. My symptoms are a VERY painful left upper back, by the shoulder blade with spasms. Tingling of all my fingers of the left hand. Is
this due to the nerves being pinched?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes its because of nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
Hello

My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Numerous nerves are passing through spinal cord and coming out of it between vertebrae. Now when there is herniation/fracture from any cause then it results in compression of nerves in that particular area resulting in pain/tingling sensation in the area of distribution of that particular nerve.

Suggestion:
I would suggest you to get an appointment for an "Orthopedic Surgeon" as soon as possible. He will examine you in detail followed by some investigations. Results will help him to offer you treatment options. You can discuss them with him.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 14 hours later
Hi again.
Why would I go to an Orthopedic Surgeon and not a Neurosurgeon? My Neurosurgeon did my Fusion of L5,S1. I have had lots of P.T; Steroid injections,etc.of my neck. Do you think it is time for SURGERY???
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both equally competent for spine surgery; opinion regarding surgery can be given after complete workup.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for the follow-up query.

Neurosurgeons were primarily responsible for spine surgery, but in the past 15-20 years or so spine surgery has evolved so that both neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons specialize in spine surgery, and for most of the typical spine Surgeries both types of surgeons are equally well qualified. So its fine if you are being treated by neurosurgeon. As you already had surgery so i would suggest you to get back to him.

Definitive suggestion regarding surgery can be given after complete examination & some investigations like MRI-Cervical spine. As your symptoms are severe so there is high possibility surgery.

Wishing you good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad