• question-icon

What causes tingling and stabbing pain in the feet?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I have burning, tingling, stabbing pain in both feet with numbness, and feeling like its swollen when I walk or drive. Also, on both feet brown discoloration.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral artery disease most probably

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns

It seems that you are suffering from peripheral artery disease which involves varying degrees of obstruction of the arterial supply of one or both legs. symptoms include painful tingling or numbness, burning sensation, muscle cramps, change in skin color, decreased hair and nail growth on the affected feet...

Treatment includes control of the risk causative factors such as:

1) Cholesterol-lowering medications such a statin
The goal for people who have peripheral artery disease is to reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, the "bad" cholesterol, to less than 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or 2.6 millimoles per liter (mmol/L).

2) High blood pressure medications. The goal of this therapy is to reduce your systolic blood pressure (the top number of the two numbers) to 140 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or lower and your diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) to 90 mm Hg or lower. If you have diabetes, your blood pressure target is under 130/80 mm Hg.

3) Medication to control blood sugar. If you also have diabetes, it becomes even more important to control your blood sugar (glucose) levels.
4) Medications to prevent blood clots such as daily aspirin or clopidogrel Because peripheral artery disease is related to reduced blood flow to your limbs, it's important to improve that flow.

Treatment also includes Symptom-relief medications such as cilostazol (Pletal) which increases blood flow to the limbs both by keeping the blood thin. Common side effects of this medication include a headache and diarrhea.

An alternative to Cilostazol is Pentoxifylline (Trental); however, it's generally less effective. But side effects are rare with this medication.

If all the above measures fail to improve the symptoms then you may consider Angioplasty and bypass surgery.

I hope I answered your question

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Ok
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please let me know if I can help you further

Detailed Answer:

Kind regards

Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 41 hours later
What do you think of what diagnosis from dr i went to. I dont umderstand you could give a diagnosis as you did without asking me one questions. Totaly wasted $15
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please explain what your concerns are...

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms,

Every doctor's approach is different. I've given you the details of probable diagnosis based on your presenting complaints.

Please let me know what all concerns do you have to be able to help you further.

Kind regards

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman