What causes tingling and pulsating sensation on scalp?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jul 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have localized tingling and pulsing on my scalp. It started five days ago and seems to be happening more frequently (once every five minutes). I have no other symptoms. I'm not sure which doctor to go visit for help.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Local, B 12 or nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The scalp should be examined locally for any abnormal spots, crusting, lesions etc by your G.P. If there is no evidence of any local superficial abnormality then the most likely causes are either a vitamin B 12 deficiency or nerve compression due to pressure on the scalp nerves e.g during sleep or improper helmet force. In either case a neurologist would be the appropriate doctor that should be referred to. If B 12 supplementation and observation for the nerve compression leads to no improvement of the symptoms then imaging such as MRI can be advised by the neurologist based on his clinical findings.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil