question-icon

What Causes Tingling And Numbness In Fingers, Hands And Face?

Posted on Wed, 19 Oct 2016
Question: Have tingling and numbness in fingers and hands and face which lasts about 10 minutes. No pain or discomfort.
Answered by Dr. Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Numbness of the fingers and hands is due to conditions that affect the nerves and/or blood vessels innervating the hand. These symptoms are referred to as paresthesia of the fingers. This can be due to cold or anxiety which may resolve on its own. However , if the numbness occurs more often or persists for longer periods then such conditions require further workup to rule out other causes.

Numbness and tingling of the hands and fingers can be due to
Carpal tunnel syndrome , Diabetes, Electrolyte imbalance especially involving Calcium, Multiple sclerosis, Transient ischemic attack (TIA), Hypothyroidism
, Raynaud's phenomenon ( which occurs due to narrowing of the blood vessels, usually in the hands and feet). Some medication may also cause paresthesia.

Depending upon the history and physical examination Electromyography and nerve conduction studies may be advised in addition to the investigations including complete blood count, electrolytes, liver and renal function tests, thyroid function tests, ESR, CRP, Vitamin B 12 levels, HBA1C. Treatment would depend upon the cause precipitating the numbness and tingling.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil