What causes tingling and burning sensation around the lips despite taking Valacyclovir?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My lips and the surrounding area have a tingling, slightly burning sensation. It becomes red/pink approximately a half inch around my lips and inflamed. I have been prescribed Valacyclovir and along with lots of lip cream, this usually clears the symptoms up in a couple of days. But my symptoms return after 4 or 5 days and this has now happened now in 4 consecutive cycles. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lip lick dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have an eczematous lip dermatitis which is getting worsened by lip licking, in an effort to keep the lips moist.
It is quite common in dry, cold, windy conditions because the skin of lips is sensitive and exposed to the outside. It is more common in atopics and may start spontaneously or as an irritant reaction to toothpaste or to lipstick in females.
I don't think it is Herpes simplex virus (HSV)infection so there is no need for valacyclovir. HSV usually presents as a grape like cluster of fluid filled vesicles and it is localized rather than all around the lips.
You may just use a lip balm frequently and a mild topical steroid e.g cortisone cream, twice daily for a week. Avoid lip licking. Keep yourself hydrated film within.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
Thank you Dr Kakkar,

I do live in a dry, cold climate. My wife does not use lipstick and we've generally used the same toothpaste for years. Also, I am not a lip licker. I will try the cortisone cream and drink more water. Any other thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lip dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Perhaps it is due to the weather.
I suggest you to use cortisone cream, twice daily and a moisturizing lip balm, frequently.
There is no need for valacyclovir.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng